(C) Daily Kos
This story was originally published by Daily Kos and is unaltered.
. . . . . . . . . .
Overnight News Digest July 15, 2025 [1]
['This Content Is Not Subject To Review Daily Kos Staff Prior To Publication.']
Date: 2025-07-15
Welcome to the Overnight News Digest with a crew consisting of founder Magnifico, regular editors side pocket, maggiejean, Chitown Kev, eeff, Magnifico, annetteboardman, Besame, jck, and JeremyBloom. Alumni editors include (but not limited to) Interceptor 7, Man Oh Man, wader, Neon Vincent, palantir, Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse (RIP), ek hornbeck (RIP), rfall, ScottyUrb, Doctor RJ, BentLiberal, Oke (RIP) and jlms qkw. OND is a regular community feature on Daily Kos, consisting of news stories from around the world, sometimes coupled with a daily theme, original research or commentary. Editors of OND impart their own presentation styles and content choices, typically publishing each day near 12:00 AM Eastern Time.
Please feel free to share your articles and stories in the comments.
Chicago Sun-Times: Chicago to be flagship city for nationwide 'Good Trouble' protests denouncing Trump by Jannai Jana
More than 1,000 demonstrations honoring civil rights icon John Lewis and decrying President Donald Trump’s policies are set to kick off in Chicago and across the country Thursday. Chicago’s event will be what organizers call the flagship for the fifth annual “Good Trouble Lives On: John Lewis Day of Action,” a coordinated series of peaceful demonstrations that mark the passing of the late U.S. representative and civil rights leader. More than 1,600 demonstrations are scheduled in cities including Atlanta, St. Louis, and Oakland, California. The event borrows from the phrase Lewis popularized: “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble.” “Let Thursday be a reminder that we still have to make America become ... that multicultural democracy where we all share,” said Black Voters Matter legal director April Albright during a virtual event Tuesday. Organizers said in a news release that they plan to respond to the Trump administration’s policies targeting immigrants, Black and Brown Americans and trans people.
CNN: House Speaker Johnson joins growing number of Republicans pressing Trump administration for more transparency on Epstein case by Hannah Rabinowitz, Donald Judd, Paula Reid, and Sarah Ferris
Some of President Donald Trump’s most loyal allies in Congress aren’t satisfied by his decision to not release additional files from the Jeffrey Epstein case, and it’s threatening to deepen the MAGA divide he now faces from his base. Privately, Trump’s White House team has been trying to shift public attention away from the administration’s position on the files, but House Speaker Mike Johnson on Tuesday became the highest-ranking Republican to say he, too, wants to see more details from the investigation, as the speaker faces pressure from some in his own ranks to take the unusual step of using Congress’ power to investigate the matter itself. “I’m for transparency,” Johnson said in a podcast interview with conservative commentator Benny Johnson, when asked about calls from his own members, including GOP Reps. Anna Paulina Luna of Florida, Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Lauren Boebert of Colorado, to take more actions like subpoena the Justice Department for the documents or appoint a special counsel. “It’s a very delicate subject. We should put everything out there and let the people decide it,” the Louisiana Republican said.
NBC News: Pete Hegseth orders the removal of 2,000 National Guard troops from Los Angeles by Tim Stelloh
Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth ordered the removal of 2,000 National Guard troops who were mobilized in response to protests in Los Angeles last month over immigration raids, a Pentagon official said Tuesday. "Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding," chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement. The deployment of 4,000 National Guard troops came after a series of raids by immigration authorities in Los Angeles prompted sometimes-violent protests in parts of the city that were quelled with arrests and the use of "less lethal" weapons. The Trump administration's decision to deploy the troops drewfierce criticism from California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who called it an "assault" on Democracy and invoked "authoritarian regimes" who "begin by targeting people who are least able to defend themselves."
The New York Times: Rising Inflation Underscores Risks in Trump’s New Tariff Threats by Tony Romm and Colby Smith
President Trump’s steep tariffs have started to weigh on consumers’ wallets, sending prices higher as the White House readies a more drastic — and potentially costly — expansion of its global trade war. The risks in Mr. Trump’s economic strategy began to show on Tuesday, with the release of data that found inflation had accelerated in June. Prices rose noticeably on appliances, clothing and furniture, products that are all heavily exposed to the president’s taxes on imports from Canada, China and other major trading partners. The inflation report undercut Mr. Trump’s continued assertions that Americans would not face financial repercussions from his increasingly aggressive trade brinkmanship. Since taking office, the president has imposed withering duties on allies and adversaries alike, with additional taxes on a range of products such as cars and steel. The latest reading of the Consumer Price Index recorded the first signs of what economists had predicted all along, with U.S. businesses and consumers shouldering a growing share of the burden from the taxes Mr. Trump has imposed on imports.
BBC News: Thousands of Afghans were moved to UK in secret scheme after data breach by Joel Gunter and Sean Seddon
Thousands of Afghans have moved to the UK under a secret scheme which was set up after a British official inadvertently leaked their data, it can be revealed. In February 2022, the personal details of nearly 19,000 people who had applied to move to the UK after the Taliban seized power in Afghanistan were leaked. The previous government learned of the breach in August 2023 when some of the details appeared on Facebook. A new resettlement scheme for those on the leaked list was set up nine months later, and has seen 4,500 Afghans arrive in the UK so far. But the existence of the leak and relocations were kept secret after the government obtained a super-injunction stopping it from becoming public. Details of the major data breach, the response and the number of Afghans granted the right to live in the UK as a result only came to light on Tuesday after a High Court judge ruled the gagging order should be lifted.
Guardian: UK’s cavalier attitude leaves Afghans facing yet more fear and uncertainty by Emma Graham-Harrison
This week’s revelations about the UK’s dangerously cavalier treatment of Afghans who worked with British forces are shocking but not surprising. Afghanistan was matched by the carelessness with which it left the country and its people to Taliban rule two decades later. The carelessness with which Britain went to war inwas matched by the carelessness with which it left the country and its people to Taliban rule two decades later. In 2001 the US and its allies dressed up a war of revenge for the 9/11 attacks as a moral mission to protect women’s rights and build democracy, turning down a Taliban offer to surrender out of a conviction that they could remake Afghanistan as they wished. In the summer of 2021, with the full withdrawal of US forces looming, it was clear the Afghan government they had propped up for years was fragile. Many of the Afghans who backed it, worked for it or believed in broader western promises of long-term support for democracy and human rights were at risk.
AlJazeera: AI and disinformation fuel political rivalries in the Philippines by Michael Beltran
When former Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte was arrested by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in March, Sheerah Escuerdo spoke to a local television station, welcoming the politician’s detention on charges of murder linked to his war on drugs. Escuerdo, who lost her 18-year-old brother, Ephraim, to Duterte’s war, clutched a portrait of her sibling during the interview with News 5 Everywhere as she demanded justice for his killing. Days later, she was shocked to find an AI-generated video of her slain brother circulating on Facebook, in which he said he was alive and accused his sister of lying. “I’m alive, not dead. Are they paying you to do this?” the computer-generated image of Ephraim said. The video, posted online by a pro-Duterte influencer with 11,000 followers, immediately drew thousands of views on Facebook.
DW: Air India crash: Boeing aircraft in the spotlight by Darko Janjevic
Variety: New York Times Culture Desk Shake-Up: Critics Margaret Lyons, Jon Pareles, Jesse Green, Zach Woolfe Reassigned to ‘New Roles’ by Todd Spangler
The New York Times is revamping its lineup of arts and entertainment critics — replacing four of the paper’s TV, music and theater critics, who are being offered “new roles,” according to an internal memo obtained by Variety. The quartet of Times critics — television critic Margaret Lyons, music critic Jon Pareles, theater critic Jesse Green and classical music critic Zach Woolfe — will “be taking on new roles, and we will be conducting a search for critics on their beats in the weeks to come,” New York Times culture editor Sia Michel wrote in a memo to staffers on Tuesday afternoon. “We are in the midst of an extraordinary moment in American culture. New generations of artists and audiences are bypassing traditional institutions, smartphones have Balkanized fandoms even as they have made culture more widely accessible than ever, and arts institutions are facing challenges and looking for new opportunities,” Michel wrote. “Our readers are hungry for trusted guides to help them make sense of this complicated landscape, not only through traditional reviews but also with essays, new story forms, videos and experimentation with other platforms,” she wrote in the memo. “Our mission is to be those guides,” she continued. “As we do so, I am making some changes in assignments in the department.”
Everyone have the best possible evening that you can!
[END]
---
[1] Url:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2025/7/15/2333612/-Overnight-News-Digest-July-15-2025?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web
Published and (C) by Daily Kos
Content appears here under this condition or license: Site content may be used for any purpose without permission unless otherwise specified.
via Magical.Fish Gopher News Feeds:
gopher://magical.fish/1/feeds/news/dailykos/