(C) Daily Kos
This story was originally published by Daily Kos and is unaltered.
. . . . . . . . . .



Ukraine Invasion Day 618: repelled advance in the Vuhledar direction of Donetsk Oblast [1]

['This Content Is Not Subject To Review Daily Kos Staff Prior To Publication.']

Date: 2023-11-02

Russian forces attempted to advance in the Vuhledar direction in Donetsk Oblast but were fought off by Ukrainian defenders, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Nov. 2.

The Russian information space’s reaction to Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief General Valerii Zaluzhnyi’s November 1 interview and essay about the current operational environment in Ukraine was relatively muted. Several Russian sources simply summarized Zaluzhnyi’s points, while others suggested that Zaluzhnyi was primarily acknowledging the superiority of Soviet-era military strategy over NATO doctrine.[7] Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov expressed disagreement with Zaluzhnyi’s conclusions and stated that the war has not reached a “dead end.”[8]

Ukrainian forces recently advanced near Bakhmut and continued offensive operations in western Zaporizhia Oblast on November 2. Geolocated footage published on November 1 indicates that Ukrainian forces advanced further northeast of the railway line near Klishchiivka (7km southwest of Bakhmut).[5] The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces continued offensive operations in the Bakhmut and Melitopol (western Zaporizhia Oblast) directions.[6]

🔥| RUSSIAN LOSSES | VUHLEDAR DIRECTION This morning Russian soldiers tried to assault with using tanks and BMP on Vuhledar direction. As a result 3 tanks ( T-80BV and 2 T-72B3 obr.2022) and BMP were taken out of actions by Ukrainian soldiers of 72nd Mechanised Brigade. pic.twitter.com/OAifwzlyPG

Putin's relentless quest to quash Ukrainian independence persists as he relies on a substantial boost in military spending, global geopolitical shifts, and Western distractions, raising concerns about the conflict's long-term implications. https://t.co/NpQTvEUdX0

72nd Brigade of Ukraine repels Russian attack on Vuhledar front. Video by Deepstate. “There is no full understanding of the circumstances of the battle yet. According to preliminary information, a column with a considerable amount of tanks and infantry tried to attack east of… https://t.co/iHNBopTaYU pic.twitter.com/BK5xvB2iWf

In contrast, US officials said 70,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed and 100,000 to 120,000 wounded.

Both the Ukrainian and Russian governments refrain from publishing information on their own losses. Western estimates of the number of Russian deaths in Ukraine are more conservative though still massive – a US assessment in August said Russian fatalities were as high as 120,000 with 170,000 to 180,000 troops injured – a total of 300,000 killed or wounded during the full-scale war in Ukraine.

⚡️ WAR IN #UKRAINE - NOV 2 ■ Engagements slightly below average but strikes well above ■ Troop & equipment losses far above 7-day average ■ Daily record of special equipment losses ■ 2nd plane downed in 7 days See dashboard for further analysis 📈 https://t.co/RR3kVkmrET pic.twitter.com/b5u7qCQNiU

Russian Subordinate Main Effort #1 – Luhansk Oblast (Russian objective: Capture the remainder of Luhansk Oblast and push westward into eastern Kharkiv Oblast and northern Donetsk Oblast)

Russian forces continued offensive operations on the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line on November 2 and marginally advanced in the Kupyansk direction. Geolocated footage published on November 2 indicates that Russian forces advanced west of Orlyanka (22km east of Kupyansk).[34] A Kremlin-affiliated milblogger claimed that Russian forces seized new positions near Petropavlivka (7km east of Kupyansk) and Synkivka (9km northeast of Kupyansk), and are continuing to fight in the direction of Kupyansk.[35] The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Russian forces unsuccessfully attacked near Synkivka, Petropavlivka, and Ivanivka (20km southeast of Kupyansk) and did not conduct any assaults near Kreminna.[36] ...The Russian “Russkiy Legion” (BARS-13) formation claimed that combat activity remained low in the Kupyansk direction despite improvements in weather conditions.[38]

Russian forces continued offensive operations near Avdiivka on November 2 but did not make any confirmed gains. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces continued to hold back Russian advances near Avdiivka and repelled Russian assaults near Sieverne (6km west of Avdiivka), Tonenke (8km west of Avdiivka), and Pervomaiske (11km southwest of Avdiivka).[49] Ukrainian Tavriisk Group of Forces Spokesperson Colonel Oleksandr Shtupun stated that Russian forces are mainly attacking with small infantry groups.[50] Shtupun stated that the tempo of Russian operations near Avdiivka is declining because Russian forces are regrouping and need reinforcements.[51] Avdiivka City Military Administration Head Vitaly Barabash stated that Russian forces are concentrating efforts on Avdiivka’s northern flank and conducting consistent assault operations despite heavy rains in the area.[52] A Ukrainian military observer stated that Russian forces crossed the railway line near Stepove (3km north of Avdiivka) and are preparing to launch attacks from these newly captured positions on the Avdiivka Coke Plant in northern Avdiivka.[53] A Russian media aggregator claimed that Russian forces advanced up to the Avdiivka Coke Plant on November 1.[54]... The Ukrainian military observer also stated that Russian forces are expanding their control over positions near Opytne (4km south of Avdiivka).[56]

x Russian army losses in Avdiivaka#Ukraine️ #RussiaUkraineWar pic.twitter.com/hov6xZurjv — The Pointless Russian War in Ukraine (@wogoa1) November 2, 2023

Russian Subordinate Main Effort #2 – Donetsk Oblast (Russian objective: Capture the entirety of Donetsk Oblast, the claimed territory of Russia’s proxies in Donbas)

Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations near Bakhmut on November 2 and made confirmed advances. Geolocated footage published on November 1 indicates that Ukrainian forces advanced further northeast of the railway line near Klishchiivka (7km southwest of Bakhmut).[42] The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces continued offensive operations south of Bakhmut.[43] Russian sources, including the Russian MoD, claimed that Russian forces repelled several Ukrainian assault groups near Klishchiivka.[44]

x 93rd Signum drones (4 of them needed) destroy a russian BMP1 at 48.521700, 38.069945.

The first drone hits at 48.520697, 38.075713https://t.co/gj1mYYOgMz@GeoConfirmed @UAControlMap

I won't have time to proof it out in detail tonight but will add clues pic.twitter.com/o7zxUX1jho — PJ "giK" (@giK1893) November 2, 2023

#Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations near #Bakhmut on Nov. 2 & made confirmed advances. Geolocated footage published on Nov. 1 indicates that Ukrainian forces advanced further NE of the railway line near Klishchiivka (7km SW of Bakhmut).

[END]
---
[1] Url: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/11/2/2203290/-Ukraine-Invasion-Day-618-repelled-advance-in-the-Vuhledar-direction-in-Donetsk-Oblast?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

Published and (C) by Daily Kos
Content appears here under this condition or license: Site content may be used for any purpose without permission unless otherwise specified.

via Magical.Fish Gopher News Feeds:
gopher://magical.fish/1/feeds/news/dailykos/